Sunday, February 18, 2007

Introduction

I have two passions which have led me here today; encouraging others to see things my way and writing. During my 8+ years in the Training & Development industry, I have had ideas ranging from brilliant (see future posts) to overly optimistic ("why shouldn't I be the only sales guy with his own corner office?" - I almost won that one). That said, if even a couple of the concepts, opinions or ideas I share here can help the people who have chosen training & development as a profession, which I view as quite a noble one, then I consider this time well spent.

My name is Justyn Howard and I am currently a Corporate Account Manager for a leading Learning & Talent Management software company. If you and I were eye-to-eye and I told you I absolutely love what I do, you'd recognize the sincerity and enthusiasm with which I said it. I started in this business selling CD-Rom tutorials to businesses in Central California. Since then I have managed training initiatives ranging from simple software roll-outs to enterprise wide paradigm shifts and everything in-between. The areas which I feel confident enough to put my expertise out for the web masses include; Training Design & Deployment, Enterprise Software & Soft Skills Training; Workforce Readiness, eLearning and Learning Management Systems. I have found my true passion in the Learning & Talent Management arena, the bulk of my posts will likely be in that area.

All said, I hope that my entries will serve some benefit to readers in the field that I love. I will do my best to keep these posts factual and unbiased, though I ask that you excuse me if my passion bleeds through from time to time. If you find the information I share useful, feel free to say so and share with others. If you disagree with my ideas then I appreciate that you care enough to have an opinion. If you have anything to add, please share and you will be given proper credit for your thoughts.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Justyn

I am looking forward to following your blog.

Some ideas for future posts.

- Can the LMS (and performance management system for that matter) support bottom up learning as well as top down learning?

- What about team learning and social learning?

- How well do these systems support a person, or team's, actual performance on the job?

- What role will social software play for these systems?

- Will services oriented architectures and software as a service be adopted by the learning industry?

- What is the role of competencies in the industry. Are competencies yet another top-down straight jacket that do not really support knowledge workers (so, I'm biased).

Cheers

Steven Forth

Justyn Howard said...

Steven,

Thanks for the feedback! Very interesting questions you pose and I invite your thoughts on the same. Some other questions I have been pondering lately along those lines;

- Will competency models (and the systems that support them) become flexible enough to effectively encompass elective (bottom-up)learning and different flavors of that competency?

- What can the industry do to better prepare the learning community to properly utilize these performance management tools?

Now if I could just figure out how to expose comments on this blog so others could easily see great comments like yours!

Justyn

Tony Karrer said...

Justyn,

I just realized that I may have "outed" you on my blog. According to LinkedIn you worked for Learn.com, so I said that in my blog and then noticed your intro specifically didn't mention the company. Sorry. At least you have comment moderation on so if you didn't want folks to know, then you can delete this.

On a different note - it looks like Learn.com will be exhibiting at the eLearningGuild in Boston. A few of us bloggers have got together at the past few conferences to have beers. At one, we were invited by a product vendor. You can likely get some free mileage on blogs before and after the conference and also get good conversations with folks like Jay Cross by sponsoring something - possible a visit to Boston Beer Company / Sam Adams?

In other words, I can invite the folks and generate the buzz if you supply the beer. :)

Tony

Justyn Howard said...

Tony,

Great to hear from you! I had a chance to look at your eLearning Technology blog (http://elearningtech.blogspot.com)and found it full of great info. Let me know if you wouldn't mind me linking to it under my resources.

No worries at all about "outing" me, I wanted my LinkedIn profile front and center so that my affiliations would be above-board while the posts (attempt to) stay neutral.

I'm not sure if we have our roster set for Boston yet, but I will check with our "Entertainment Committee" and see what we can line up. We'll look forward to seeing you and your counterparts there!

I've got some great content lined up for my next few posts so keep an eye out!

Justyn